New research from the TaxPayers' Alliance today demonstrates that councils up and down the United Kingdom are hoarding assets as diverse as golf courses and a model railway despite the scale of Britain's financial challenge.
Key findings of the research are that, as of April 1st 2014:
- Local authorities own at least 580 restaurants or cafes, along with 378 pubs.
- Brighton and Hove City Council own 59 restaurants or cafes
- Birmingham City Council counts 17 pubs in its asset portfolio
- Councils own 174 hotels, with Bristol City Council and Eastbourne Borough Councilowning 9 each
- Local authorities own 2,586 farms, 259 theatres, 191 shopping centres and an astounding 7,294 shops
- Councils own at least 407 golf courses, with Barnet Borough Council alone owning 10
10:00 AM 27, Apr 2017 The TaxPayers...
10:48 AM 26, Apr 2017 The TaxPayers...
10:32 AM 25, Apr 2017 Alex Wild
3:00 PM 21, Apr 2017 The TaxPayers...
3:20 PM 20, Apr 2017 Katherine Gray
12:59 PM 20, Apr 2017 James Price