New research from the TaxPayers' Alliance today demonstrates that councils up and down the United Kingdom are hoarding assets as diverse as golf courses and a model railway despite the scale of Britain's financial challenge.
Key findings of the research are that, as of April 1st 2014:
- Local authorities own at least 580 restaurants or cafes, along with 378 pubs.
- Brighton and Hove City Council own 59 restaurants or cafes
- Birmingham City Council counts 17 pubs in its asset portfolio
- Councils own 174 hotels, with Bristol City Council and Eastbourne Borough Councilowning 9 each
- Local authorities own 2,586 farms, 259 theatres, 191 shopping centres and an astounding 7,294 shops
- Councils own at least 407 golf courses, with Barnet Borough Council alone owning 10
12:00 PM 20, Oct 2017 Ben Ramanauskas
6:45 PM 10, Oct 2017 Duncan Simpson
9:09 AM 26, Sep 2017 Daniel Pryor
12:03 PM 20, Sep 2017 Duncan Simpson
6:09 PM 18, Sep 2017 Jan Zeber
4:02 PM 18, Sep 2017 Ben Ramanauskas