New research from the TaxPayers' Alliance today demonstrates that councils up and down the United Kingdom are hoarding assets as diverse as golf courses and a model railway despite the scale of Britain's financial challenge.
Key findings of the research are that, as of April 1st 2014:
- Local authorities own at least 580 restaurants or cafes, along with 378 pubs.
- Brighton and Hove City Council own 59 restaurants or cafes
- Birmingham City Council counts 17 pubs in its asset portfolio
- Councils own 174 hotels, with Bristol City Council and Eastbourne Borough Councilowning 9 each
- Local authorities own 2,586 farms, 259 theatres, 191 shopping centres and an astounding 7,294 shops
- Councils own at least 407 golf courses, with Barnet Borough Council alone owning 10
1:52 PM 17, Jan 2017 James Price
11:37 AM 16, Jan 2017 The TaxPayers...
3:30 PM 13, Jan 2017 James Price
10:39 AM 06, Jan 2017 Dia Chakravarty