- Under proposed extended producer responsibility changes, the annual packaging waste management costs that producers will have to pay will be approximately £2.7 billion.
- It seems likely that impacted producers will have to increase prices for consumers, thereby increasing the cost of a weekly shop.
- If all affected producers across all industries decided to pass the entire £2.7 billion cost onto taxpayers, it would amount to each household paying an extra £96 per year.
- Without direction from the government, taxpayers will likely be paying twice for waste collection, through both council tax and higher prices.
- With taxes rising and the energy price cap also going up to almost £2,000, taxpayers are facing a cost of living crisis.