UPDATE: The competition is now closed and winners have been announced. Click here to find out more.
The TaxPayers' Alliance is holding a competition to identify the best transport infrastructure projects that could replace HS2.
Craig Tracey MP discussing alternatives to HS2
Scrapping HS2 could free up around £50 billion to improve transport links up and down the country. Given the spiralling costs (with the latest evidence suggesting that cost could almost double), taxpayers are demanding more for their money.
The Great British Transport Competition is asking all interested parties from across the UK to submit ideas for transport infrastructure projects. Entries will be judged by an expert panel, including qualified surveyors, politicians and rail industry experts. The winning bids will be professionally costed and presented to ministers.
- Benefit to both local and wider economies
- Public support
- Cost benefit evaluation
- Level of integration with existing transport infrastructure
- Positive environmental impact
- Craig Tracey MP
- Lord Framlingham
- Lord Berkeley
- Michael Byng, infrastructure and procurement specialist
- Phil Basey, Editorial Director - TaxPayers' Alliance
- James Roberts, Political Director - TaxPayers' Alliance