The TaxPayers' Alliance is Britain's independent grassroots campaign for lower taxes. After years of being ignored by politicians of all parties, the TPA is committed to forcing politicians to listen to ordinary taxpayers.
Taxes have been rising but there has been very little improvement in the quality of schools, hospitals and transport provided by government. Most recently, British workers, employers, consumers, homeowners and pensioners have been hit by higher national insurance contributions, huge council tax increases, VAT hikes, and higher taxes on pension funds.
High taxes damage the British economy and our way of life is suffering as a result: economic growth is being stunted and tens of thousands of jobs are being lost to off-shoring as huge tax bills reduce incentives to work, invest and save and discourage entrepreneurship. In the long-run, higher taxes make us all poorer.
The TPA's mission is:
- To reverse the perception that big government is necessary and irreversible
- To explain the benefits of a low tax economy
- To give taxpayers a voice in the corridors of power
To this end, the TaxPayers' Alliance will:
- Oppose EU tax harmonisation
- Criticise all examples of wasteful and unnecessary spending
- Champion opportunities for votes on tax and spending
You can read more about the aims of the TPA in our manifesto