Council Spending Uncovered II - No. 5: Preventing Violent Extremism Grants
- Over £12 million has so far been given out by local authorities to fund community groups through Prevent projects.
- There has been insufficient monitoring of how Prevent money is spent, with the Government unsure of what groups Councils have disbursed money to.
- This paper managed to get more detailed information on local authorities’ Preventing Violent Extremism grants than that obtained by Paul Goodman MP through parliamentary questions.
- The TPA has been able to ascertain how much each organisation received, rather than the total amount each local authority received – an itemised account of PVE expenditure.
- Around £850,000 has been given to the Muslim Council of Britain’s official affiliates through different Prevent funding streams.
- Of the £38,000 initially allocated to the Cordoba Foundation, only £4,000 was withdrawn. This is despite the Cohesion Minister stating in Parliament that Tower Hamlets Council had terminated their agreement with them.
- The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) directly administer the Faith Communities Capacity Building Fund and the Community Leadership Fund. They also funded other selected projects in the 2006-07 financial year.
- The Government have promised £45 million to local authorities over three years as ‘Preventing Violent Extremism’ (PVE) grants. PVE money is allocated to those Councils with Muslim populations of more than 5 per cent. Most of those Councils are in urban areas.
“Giving councils millions of pounds to dole out to hundreds of community groups clearly creates a massive risk that money will be wasted or finance groups hostile to Britain's liberal, democratic values. The Government has failed to avoid endorsing or funding radicals in the past and as such it's totally unrealistic to expect local councils to be able to assess which groups warrant funding. Grants to community groups aren't just risky though, they can also be divisive and wasteful. Politicians of all parties need to acknowledge that the approach has failed, cancel this programme and start focussing directly on stopping terrorists.”
11:41 AM 15, Aug 2018 James Price
10:08 AM 13, Aug 2018 Duncan Simpson
12:36 PM 31, Jul 2018 James Price
7:10 PM 16, Jun 2018 The TaxPayers' Alliance
4:04 PM 23, May 2018 Matt Gillow
4:20 PM 14, May 2018 James Price